Equipment and Process Control
- Providing engineering support, both process and electro-mechanical, to a small manufacturing team
- which uses for the most part:
- 3 Linear plastic extrusion lines (Thermoplastic and cold rubber)
- Cable making equipment (Stranding and rewind)
- A range of heat shrinkable plastic processes
- Optical fibre termination and testing
- The aim of the role will be to ensure the reproducible quality of our finished products and on time
- delivery to our customers. In addition to requiring direct "hands on" engineering support, significant
- time will be required to maintain and generate applicable documentation to enable proper recording
- of both process control and equipment.
- Following some internal training and with increasing product experience the role will be expected to:
- Produce outline product designs based on a set of standard product platforms and historical supplies
- Answer customer questions with regard to product suitability, performance and the like.
- Talk to customers and handling general queries in the absence of the Sales Manager
- Assist in, or give, customer presentations either on site or at a customer premises (may very occasionally be overseas)
- Checking of customer quotations if required.
The company has a well-established ISO9001:2015 quality system. This will require various activities,
some practical such as:
- process improvements
- troubleshooting and documenting non-conformances and customer complaints
- Some quality control and calibration checks/record keeping
Other activities in the area are more administrative such as:
- Internal procedure audits (Training would be provided)
- Maintenance of various document systems and records to ensure compliance with the quality
- Drafting instructions, test reports or manuals for processes, equipment or products.
Occasionally there will be a requirement to provide on-site support to a customer, normally
to assist in solving installation problems or an operational issue with a product. Historically
this has only been on the order of one overseas visit per annum, and is most likely to be to
China, India, North or South America. Depending on the application these sites may be in quite remote locations. This work may typically require some optical testing and/or optical connector installation, and perhaps the need to climb ladders up to a large platform 5-10m above ground.
The Technical Services Engineer can expect to be a key part of the team running the day to day
business of the company. They will need the ability to communicate well with other personnel,
customers and suppliers alike.
Ideally a graduate degree level understanding of maths, scientific and electromechanical engineering principles to enable problem solving and to communicate successfully with scientifically knowledgeable customers, site engineers, test engineers and test witness personnel. Any knowledge in polymeric materials and extrusion processes, and/or ultra-high voltage applications would be beneficial. Be comfortable with physically carrying out electro/mechanical type activities.